The organ, which was inaugurated in May 1864, was a present to the cathedral from the 3rd Earl Dunraven of Adare. It was built by the esteemed organ building company of William Hill & Son.
The organ has been partially overhauled a number of times since then most notably:
- 1917 converted to pneumatic action by Hill, Norman and Beard
- 1960's converted to electropneumatic action, wind pressure increased, installation of new electric blower and new detached tab key console by Henry Wills & Son
- 1982 console replaced with current three manual drawstop console by Kenneth Jones Ltd.
- 2005 Solid State Switching system installed by Stephen Adams .